This Olive Oil Cherry Cake is a tender and moist olive oil cake spiced with some Cinnamon and Cardamom and beautifully dotted with fresh cherries.
Cherries are such a summer icon and we mostly associate them with pie, ice-cream, and popsicles. That is why I was pleasantly surprised to find out how well they pair with some warm spices and the earthy flavors of olive oil.
(The irony that this cake would be a great fall recipe did not escape my mind and all I have to say is “whatever!”.)
What ingredients Are In This Olive Oil Cherry Cake:
- Fresh Cherries, pitted and sliced half verticality. Frozen cherries are not a good ides as they may contain too much liquid.
- Olive Oil, since olive oil is what gives the cake it’s wonderful earthy tones and tenderness. Please use a brand that you like.
- Cake Flour, but if you do not have it in hand use AP flour + 2 tsp potato starch.
- AP Flour
- Almond Flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Ground Cinnamon and Ground Cardamom, a very small amount goes very far. Please do not skip these two ingredients, however feel free to replace the cardamom with hazelnut.
- Sour cream
How to make this recipe:
This Olive Oil Cherry Cake is a pound cake, which means that firstly, we beat the creaming ingredients together (sugar, eggs and olive oil).
Secondly, we will incorporate the dry ingredients (flours, spices and leaners) in three additions alternating with the sour cream (the liquids).
Last, it is the fun part. Pouring the batter into the pan and dot the top of the cake with the cherries.
Storing the cake:
This cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 48 hours, or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Few more tips about this Olive Oil Cherry Cake:
- I baked this cake in a round 8″ pan because I like the cake to be tall. However, you can bake it in a round (or square) 9″ pan and lower the baking time to 40-45 minutes.
- For greasing the cake, I used a parchment paper and placed it at the bottom of the cake but the sides of the cake I did not grease. This way the cake can rise as tall as possible. To remove the cake, I used a sharp knife to run between the side of the cake and the cake. then turned it upside down on a plate and back up.
Here are some more pie recipes you might enjoy:
Also, one more thing…
Don’t forget to tag @OneSarcasticBaker on Instagram whenever you bake this recipe. Would love to see your creations!
Lastly, did you like this recipe and find inspiring? Save THIS PIN to your Baking or Cake boards.
Olive oil cherry cake
- 1 Cup Fresh cherries, pitted and cut in half (150 g / 5 oz)
- 1 Cup Cake Flour (120 g / 4 oz)
- 2/3 Cup AP Flour (80 g / 2.5 oz)
- 1/4 Cup Almond flour (40 g / 1.5 oz)
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom
- 1 Cup Olive oil (200 g / 7 oz)
- 3/4 Cup Full Fat Sour cream (200 g / 7 oz)
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cup Sugar (300 g / 11 oz)
Preheat oven to 325F. Line the bottom of 8" pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Use a fork to blend it all. Set aside.
In a bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the sugar and eggs on medium speed for about 1 minute.
Reduce speed to low and drizzle in the olive oil.
Add the flour in three additions alternating with the sour cream, starting and finishing with the flour mixture.
Pour batter in the prepared cake pan and dot the cake with the pitted cherries.
Bake for 55-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.