Last updated on August 13th, 2023.
This Chocolate Chip Brioche is a delicious homemade bread recipe that will make your house smell like you just walked into one of the bakeries of Paris. A slice of this tender, buttery and chocolatey bread is the perfect snack or a delicious, indulgent breakfast.
Brioche bread with chocolate chips
Brioche recipes are the best! Nothing is better than a buttery, tender, and delicious slice of Brioche bread for a sweet snack. After using brioche dough to make Cinnamon Brioche Rolls, Brioche Donuts, and even Chocolate Brioche Bread, dotting the dough with chocolate chips is a natural turn of events.
I shaped it into a loaf, but you can roll it into individual chocolate chip Brioche rolls.
The ingredients should be at room temperature; if possible, I included substitutions next to each component.
- All-purpose Flour. Ensure it is unbleached wheat flour.
- Instant Dry Yeast. I like to use SAF (affiliated); you can also use active dried yeast and fresh baker’s yeast; I included measurements for both in the recipe card.
- Sugar. Just a 1/4 cup for the touch of sweetness.
- Lukewarm milk. Skim milk or water will also work.
- Large Eggs. At room temperature.
- Unsalted Softened butter. Soft, at room temperature, cut into 1-inch pieces. Do not use salted butter; vegan butter is ok.
- Chocolate chips. Any type you like: semi-sweet, milk, white, or dark chocolate chips are all great options.
- Beaten egg to brush the dough.
How to make chocolate chip brioche loaf
For more information and helpful tips, please visit my post about How to make Brioche Bread.
Step One: Make the dough
- Mix the flour, sugar, yeast, salt, eggs, and milk for about 3 minutes in a bowl of a stand mixer bowl.
- Increase speed to medium-high, and add the butter, one piece at a time, waiting for about 15 seconds between each addition.
- Mix for 10-15 minutes until the dough is smooth and the sides and bottom of the bowl are clean.
- Spray with cooking oil, cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel, and rest at a warm spot for 1.5 hours or until double in size.
Step Two: Shape The Dough
BTW, you can use this technique with my challah recipe.
- Punch the dough, and place it over a lightly floured work surface. Sprinkle half the chocolate chips over the dough.
- Gently stretch and fold the dough to distribute the chocolate chips, then repeat with the remaining chips.
- Divide the dough into two parts. Use your hands to shape each part into an 8×8-inch square.
- Fold the bottom part over the center of the square, then do the same with the top part.
- Place the loaf in a loaf pan line with parchment paper, brush with the egg wash, and let rest until double in size, about 2-3 hours.
Storing and Freezing
Store at room temperature, covered for up to 3 days. If refrigerating, it might get dry so you can warm it in the toaster. To freeze, wrap the bread with plastic wrap, a freezer bag, or an airtight container and freeze for up to four weeks.
Tips and FAQ
Use a kitchen scale (affiliate); too much or not enough flour will break the recipe.
Especially the eggs and butter.
For an overnight rise, place the dough in the refrigerator.
Place the bread over a baking sheet or a baking tray before baking.
To combine the ingredients, replace it with the dough hook attachment to mix and develop the mature wheat gluten.
The best way to know is when the inner temperature is 180F (82C); the bread should have a golden brown color and a golden sheen.
One of two reasons: the yeast is dead, or you did not knead long enough, and the gas escaped instead of getting trapped.
Any chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips (like I used) will do. You can also use chopped chocolate, but ensure all pieces are the same size.
Chocolate Chip Brioche Bread Recipe
Tender, buttery, and chocolatey bread is the perfect snack or a delicious, indulgent breakfast.
- 3 Cups Unbleached all-purpose flour (360g)
- 1/4 Cup Granulated sugar (50g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Instant yeast
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk (120ml)
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted butter, soft, cut into 1-inch pieces (85g)
- 3/4 Cup Chocolate chips (135g)
Bring the milk to a boil, then remove it from the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
In a bowl of a stand mixer, place the flour, sugar, salt, yeast, eggs, and water and mix for about 4 minutes.
Increase the speed to high, and add the butter, one piece at a time, waiting 10-15 seconds between each addition.
Mix on medium-high for 10-15 minutes until the dough is smooth, and when you gently stretch a piece, it stretches very thin without tearing.
Cove the bowl and let rest in a warm spot for about 1.5-2 hours.
Release the air from the dough, and place it on a lightly floured work surface.
Sprinkle half the chocolate chips on the dough, then use your hand to gently stretch and fold the dough to distribute the chocolate.
Repeat with the remaining chocolate chips.
Grease two 8-inch loaf pans or one 10-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
Divide the dough into two equal pieces (each approx. 400g) and shape the dough with your hands into an 8-inch square. Or, 10×10 if baking one loaf.
Mentally divide the dough into three parts, then fold the bottom part over the second, middle part.
Place the top part over the middle part and seal the ends.
Place the loaves in the pans and let them rest for 1.5-2 hours.
Bake at 350F (180C) and bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes until the inner temperature is 180F (82C).
Remove from the oven, and invert to a cooling rack after 10 minutes.
- Store at room temperature, in a bag for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to four months.
- When ready, remove from the freezer, and let warm to room temperature over the counter.
- For the best results, use a kitchen scale to measure the ingredients.
- Make sure all of the ingredients are at room temperature.
- If you know that your oven runs high or has a lot of hot spots, place the bread over a baking sheet or a baking tray before baking.
- Use the paddle attachment to combine the ingredients, then replace it with the dough hook attachment to mix.
- To use active dry yeast, and fresh cake yeast, use 12 grams and mix them with one teaspoon of the sugar in the warm milk. Let sit for 15 minutes until frothy, then add the rest of the ingredients and follow the recipe as written.