Whether you feel like baking something not too complicated and time consuming or you wish to impress someone, this Fancy Traditional Honey Cake is the answer.
A very wise man once said: “I changed by not changing at all…” and this cake is exactly that.
Remember the Traditional Jewish Honey Cake few posts back? This is the exact same batter baked in a different pan, soaked with warm honey and topped with toasted almonds.
And even though these are minor changes the cake gets a complete upgrade. It looks festive and above all it gets the most gasps and wondering stares when served.
Now Let’s Talk About This Almond Honey Cake:
- You can use either light or dark brown sugar. The dark brown sugar will result in a darker and moister cake.
- The recipe calls for ground cinnamon, however you can add your favorite spices such as nutmeg or ground ginger.
- If you prefer a thicker cake, bake it in an 8″ round pan.
- You can bake the cake days in advance and freeze. A day before you wish to serve, unfreeze it and follow the instructions for the topping below.
- If the cake has a dome, just cool it after that flip it.
- For best soaking result, make sure the honey and cake are in opposite temperature.
- After the second bake, do not remove the cake away from the cooling pan otherwise it will break.
Here are some more great recipes you might enjoy:
One more thing…
Don’t forget to tag @OneSarcasticBaker on Instagram if you bake this recipe. Would love to see your creations!
Almond Honey Cake
- 3/4 Cup Light or brown Sugar (150 g / 5.5 oz)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil (200 g / 7 oz)
- 1 2/3 Cup AP Flour (200 g / 7 oz)
- 2 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce (200 g / 7 oz)
- 1/3 Cup + 2 TBS Honey (150 g / 5.5 oz)
- 1/2 Cup Sliced toasted almonds
- 1/2 Cup Warm honey for soaking
Preheat oven to 340F. Line the bottom of 9" round pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon,salt and baking soda together. set aside.
In a large measuring cup, mix the applesauce and honey together. Set aside.
In a bowl of a standing mixer, place the sugar and eggs and mix medium speed for a few minutes until the mix is lighter in color. 4-5 minutes
Change mixer speed to low and slowly drizzle the oil into the bowl. Allow to incorporate. Return speed to medium.
Add the flour in 3 additions alternating with the Applesauce honey mix.
Pour batter into greased pan.
Bake until the center is golden and a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake. About 25-30 minutes.
Remove the cake from the oven and let cool.
When reay to top the cake. Preheat oven to 300F. Remove the cake from the pan and place it on a cooling rack placed on a cookie sheet.
With a small tooth pick, pook the cake brush it with warm honey and top with almonds.
Bake for 5 minutes. Allow the cake to completely cool before placing in a serving dish.