Last updated on November 27th, 2022.
Buttery and flaky PuffPastry Twists With Cake Crumbs is a delicious, easy, and fast dessert for any occasion!
Although this recipe is very simple, and many of you have tried it before, it is very special to me. I learned this recipe and its “secrets” back when I worked at the bakery. Back then, my “Boss” (manager) use to head over to my side of the bakery and ask for some cake crumbs. Next, he would gather scraps of puff pastry and a few almost empty containers of Raspberry filling then performed his magic.
I’m not sure he ever noticed how I studied him as he worked. But it did not matter because he always answered all my baking questions with kindness and patience.
My favorite part is that “Boss” was born and raised in Ecuador. He had his first job at a local bakery owned by Mr. Friedman, a Jewish baker who escaped Europe during WWII. Fast forward 30 years, and he is teaching his Jewish employee the secrets of the Jewish Bakery.
Like these Cake Crumbs Linzer cookies, this puff pastry Twists With Cake Crumbs recipe has the same history. Bakeries use scraps of puff pastry and cake crumbs to make profits from leftovers. In this recipe, the cake crumbs are absorbing any excess liquid from the Jam and prevent it from leaking out.
Now Let’s Talk About These PuffPastry Twists With Cake Crumbs :
- If using store-bought puff pastry, please check the baking instructions, as they may vary from brand to brand.
- The type of cake crumbs and Jam is up to you. I used Raspberry and Chocolate cake crumbs because it was in hand.
- Same with the size of the twists. You can cut the puff pastry in half horizontally before cutting the stripes for more minor twists.
- During the first minutes of the baking, the twists will appear flat. Please be patient; it will puff during the baking.
- Use your choice of filling, such as chocolate spreads, peanut butter, and even cinnamon sugar.
Here are some more recipes you might enjoy:
One more thing…
Don’t forget to tag @OneSarcasticBaker on Instagram if you bake this recipe. I would love to see your creations!
Puff Pastry Twists With Cake Crumbs
Flaky, buttery and delicous puff pastry filled with jam and cake crumbs , ready in 30 minutes.
- 2 Medium Puff Pastry Sheets
- 1/4-1/3 Cup Raspberry Jam
- 1/2 Cup Cake crumbs
- 1 Large Beaten Egg
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
Preheat oven to 400F and line a cookie sheet with baking paper.
Gently place a sheet of puff pastry on a piece of baking paper and evenly spread the Jam.
Sprinkle an even layer of Cake crumbs and line the second puff pastry sheet on top. Gently press the two together.
Using a sharp knife, cut the puff pastry into 1″ thick stripes.
Holding both ends each in one hand, gently twist each side to a different direction.
Line the twisted stripes on a baking sheet and brush each with beaten egg.
Sprinkle each twist with sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the twits have puffed and are golden brown.