Last updated on January 6th, 2021.
These Angel Apple Bars is a simple four layers dessert. Buttery tender crust layered with sweet apple filling topped with fluffy meringue and sprinkled with toasted almonds.
Angel Apple Bars.
This title tells a beautiful story of how a simple however lovable dessert got a brand new make over. Kinda like a day at the salon right before a fancy dinner with the in-laws.
She is still the same deep down. Buttery and tender crust topped with sweet cinnamon apple filling. But today she wears a beautiful fluffy crown of meringue sprinkled with toasted almonds.
Yep, she will surprise her surrounding. And just when you figured there is not much to expect.
If this was movie, it would totally be “The Devil Wears Prada” playing the part of Ann Hathaway. However, I must say a skit on Sesame Street staring Cookie Monster would be a good alternative.
Now Let’s Talk About This Angle Apple Bars Recipe:
- The shortcrust dough should be refrigerated over night for the best result. The Apple filling should be at room temperature when used. Therefore, this recipe needs to be planned head.
- The dough is enough for one 13″ x 9″ pan.
- In addition, If you wish to have a thick layer of meringue or apples, double the recipes below.
- But If you prefer you can use two 7″ square pan or even round pans. The size of the pan will determine the thickness of the layers and baking time. Bigger pans will need a longer baking time.
- VERY IMPORTANT! Removing the cake from the pan whole is VERY CHALLENGING! Therefore, I would recommend doing one of these two options: 1. Slice the bars in the pan. 2. Use a spring pan, a square pan with removable bottom or a cake ring.
- If using a cake ring, firstly place the ring on top of a large piece of foil paper. Secondly, wrap the sides of the ring with the excess foil paper. Then, place the warped ring on a baking sheet.
- The best timing to make the meringue would be right after the first bake of the crust. During the cooling time. (see more details in the recipe)
Here are some more recipes using short dough you might enjoy:
One more thing…
Don’t forget to tag @OneSarcasticBaker on Instagram if you bake this recipe. Would love to see your creations!
Please note that this post contains affiliated links which means I might get percentage at no cost to you!
Angle Apple Bars
Short Crust Dough
- 2 Sticks Unsalted butter, soften (226 g / 8 oz)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 TBS Light corn syrup
- 1/2 Cup Sugar (100 g / 3.5 oz)
- 1 Large Egg, beaten
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 Cups AP Flour (340 g / 12 oz)
- 3 Large Apples (500 g / 18 oz)
- 1 TSP Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Sugar (100 g / 3.5 oz)
- 2 TBS Potato Starch
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
Meringue and toppings
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 Large Egg Whites, room temperature.
- 3/4 Cup Sugar (150 g / 5.5 oz)
- 3/4 Cup Sliced toasted almonds
To Make The Dough
In a bowl of a standing mixer, beat the sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt until light and smooth, 4-5 minutes.
Scrap the sides and bottom of the bowl and on low speed add the beaten egg. Mix until fully incorporated.
Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time following the vanilla. Mix until you have a soft, smooth dough. Do not over mix!
Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 10-15 minutes before baking.
To Make The Apple Filling
Peel and slice the apples into 1/8" cubes, place in a bowl and sprinkle the lemon juice.
Place the apples and water in a pan over the stove, medium heat. Once it starts to boil reduce to simmer and let cook for 3-4 minutes.
Place the apples in a bowl leaving the liquid in the pan.
Add the sugar and cinnamon in the pan with the liquid stir until the sugar dissolves.
Mix the potato starch with 1/4 cup water and add it to the pan. once thickened add apples and blend.
Stir and remove from heat.
To Make the Meringue
Place the egg whites and salt in a bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
Gradually increase speed to high and beat until frothy.
Reduce heat to low-medium and slowly sprinkle the sugar. Return speed to high.
Beat until you have shiny strong meringue. 4-5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350F line a 13×9 baking pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
Roll the dough and flatten it evenly inside the baking pan. Using a fork prick it thoroughly and bake it for 12-14 minutes. Until the sides of the crust are starting to lightly brown.
Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes. Make the meringue at this point.
Evenly spread the apple filling on top of the baked crust and top it with the meringue. Sprinkle the almonds and return to the oven to bake.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or just until the meringue is evenly golden on top.
Remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing.