What if you could combine cookie, cake AND pie in one dish?
This Apple Pie Cake with Cookie Dough is just that. Thick and tender cookie dough topped with a generous layer of cinnamon apple filling and decorated with some extra dough.
Sounds wired right? Using a cookie dough as a cake?
I grew up eating this cake. When I asked my mom for the recipe, she had to scratch her head and ask: ” The apple cake with the cookie dough base?”. (she only baked one apple cake my whole life…)
Cookie dough? yes!
My guess for the reason it’s called a cookie dough is because of the ratio, mixing method and texture. But what I am really trying to say is that this dough is easy to make, easy to handle is you can use it for many many other variations: cheese cakes, fruit bars and/or any other filling you heart desire.
About The Recipe:
- You can totally skip the standing mixer and use a large bowl. Cut the butter into 1″ cubes and add it as the last ingredient.
- Unlike apple pie, for the filling, you can use your favorite kind of apple. I used Red Delicious since it is not so sweet is holds its shape well when baked (not so much in an apple pie).
- Feel free to cut, slice or even grate the apples. It’s all about how you like the filling texture.
- When cooking the apples, if needed, you can add up to 1/4 water.
- If the remaining dough is too moist to handle and decorate with, add some flour.
- Decorate the top which ever way you like. Another way is to chill the dough and grate it with a vegetable grater, then sprinkle on top.
- 6 Medium Apples (1 KG / 2.2 LBS)
- 1/4 Cup Sugar (50 g / 2 oz)
- 3 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 TBS Fresh Lemon Zest
- 2 TBS Fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/4 Cups AP Flour (270 g/ 9.5 oz)
- 1 Cup Sugar (200 g / 7 oz)
- 1 Large Egg, room temperature
- 3 Large Egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 TBS Brandi
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 TBS Fresh grated Lemon zest
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, chilled (150 g / 5.5 oz)
Peal and core the apples. Slice the apples into thin slices or grate using a vegetable grater.
Place the sliced apples and the rest of the ingredients in a large pan and over the stove on medium heat.
Allow the apple to cook for about 10-15 minutes with an occasional stirring.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.
To Make the Cake dough
Preheat oven to 375F, grease the bottom and sides of 8" spring-form pan and set a side.
Place all the ingredient in a bowl of a standing mixer, using the paddle attachment, mix on low until a moist dough is formed.
Spread 2/3 of the dough evenly in the pan and pierced it with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes.
While the dough is baking, use the remaining of the dough to create the design you wish.
Remove the baked dough from the oven and top it with the cooked apples and decorate with the extra dough.
Bake in the middle rack for 35-40 minutes.
Allow the cake to cool before removing from the pan.