Last updated on May 7th, 2021.
A combination of two unique, flavorful ingredients comes together so well in this Brazilian Nut Blood Orange Cake.
Brazilian nuts are by far my favorite kind of nuts and for some reason are way way down below the radar.
BUT did you know that the in order to grow and bare fruit the Brazilian nut tree needs a specific insect to pollinate in its habitat? And that this insect only thrives in the wilds?
Which means that the Brazil nut industry helps preserve patches of wild rainforest!
Which means that by eating it and baking this Brazilian Nut Blood Orange Cake you are actually helping the environment.
Now that is what I call BAKE FOR GOOD!!! and a WIN WIN situation.
Now Let’s Talk about this Brazilian Nut and Blood Orange Cake:
- The recipe yields: one 8″ tube pan OR two 8″/ 3″ loaf pan or 8″/2″ round pans. Please make sure to grease the pans with soft butter and parchment paper when possible.
- Other alternatives for the Brazilian nuts are: Cashews or Almonds.
- If you wish to skip the nuts all together, increase the flour to 2 3/4 cups and the blood orange juice to 1/2 cup.
- You can bake the cake/s a head and freeze. Remove from the freezer about 2-3 course before use.
- When making the glaze, start with 2 TBS of juice and add the remaining only if needed.
- Best would be to glaze the cake right before serving.
- This recipe was inspired from the book A World Of Cake and includes few changes.
One more thing…
Don’t forget to tag @OneSarcasticBaker on Instagram if you bake this recipe. Would love to see your creations!
Here are some more cookies recipe you might enjoy:
- Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies
- Cookie Butter Creme Mini Pavlovas With Candied Cashews
- Moroccan Peanuts Cookies
Brazilian Nut and Blood Orange Cake
- 1 1/2 Cups Brazilian Nuts (180 g / 6.5 oz)
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar (300 g / 11 oz)
- 2 Cups AP Flour (240 g / 8.5 oz)
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2/3 Cup Unsalted Butter, soften (154 g / 5.5 oz )
- 3 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Squeezed Blood Orange Juice
- Zest of 1 blood orange
- 1/3 Cup Milk
Blood Orange Glaze
- 1 Cups Confection sugar (125 g / 4.5 oz)
- 2-3 TBS Blood Orange Juice
Preheat Oven to 350F and line two 8″ round pans with parchment paper.
In the food processor add the nuts with two TBS of the sugar and grain until you have a coarse meal.
Place nuts in a medium bowl and add the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
In a bowl of a standing mixer, mix together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time waiting for each egg to completely incorporate before adding the next.
Stir in the blood orange and zest.
Add the flour alternating with the milk in three editions, starting and ending with the flour.
Divide the batter between the pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a tooth pick come out clean from the center of the cake.
Allow the cake to completely cool. Stir together the icing ingredient until smooth and pour on the cooled cakes.